The latest League of Legends patch is upon us!
Patch 9.13, on paper, is a big patch because of the arrival of the new champion, Qiyana and Riot Games’ take on the Auto Chess genre, Teamfight Tactics (TFT). However, as far as changes to champions goes there are a three stand out that were affected with relatively big changes to their kits. While the remaining are just your run-of-the-mill buffs/nerfs.
Before we get to the big changes, the patch also introduces five new Arcade skins with the sixth being a Prestige Edition. These skins are Arcade Caitlyn, Arcade Caitlyn Prestige Edition, Arcade Kai’Sa, Battle Boss Qiyana, and Battle Boss Yasuo.
Passive – Prophet of an Elder God
- NEW 0.4 ability power
- REMOVED Tentacles will no longer go into an idle state when Illaoi is not around to command them
- NEW Illaoi can now ping Prophet of an Elder God’s cooldown to her team
- BYE Tentacles despawn after Illaoi has left the area for
60 seconds⇒ 30 seconds
- FOG OF WAR Enemies gain vision of Tentacles through Fog of War within
1400 range⇒ 1000 range
- BUGFIX Enemy champions no longer globally get vision of attacking Tentacles
- BUGFIX Fixed a bug where Tentacle slams that were mid-flight when Illaoi died dealt no damage
W – Harsh Lesson
- NEW MINIMUM DAMAGE 20/30/40/50/60
- NEW Minimum damage is dealt as bonus damage to turrets
E – Test of Spirit
- REMOVED Spirit duration is no longer reduced each time Illaoi is damaged by the target
- BASE SPIRIT DURATION
10 seconds⇒ 7 seconds
- BASE VESSEL DURATION
12 seconds⇒ 10 seconds
- TIME BETWEEN TENTACLE ATTACKS
Once every 10 seconds at all levels⇒ Once every 5/4/3 seconds (levels 1/7/13)
R – Leap of Faith
- MAXIMUM SUMMONS
5 Tentacles⇒ 6 Tentacles
- Leap of Faith Tentacles no longer despawn mid-attack if Illaoi commands them to slam with Harsh Lesson
The first and perhaps the biggest change this patch is to Illaoi. It can be considered a mini-rework of sorts.
One of the bigger changes to her kit is to her passive, Prophet of an Elder God. They’ve included a 0.4 ratio for Ability Power. While this may not affect the more traditional Attack Damage build because of the AD scaling of her abilities, it does open the doors for an AP build. Another big change her passive is that the tentacles that spawn from it now despawn after 30 seconds after she has left the area. This means that players will have to limit within that window or else lose the tentacles altogether.
Her third ability, Test of Spirit has also been changed around. The duration of the spirit and vessel has been lowered but at the same time, once enemy champions become vessels, they will be attacked by tentacles more frequently.
Overall, these changes seem pretty interesting for the Kraken Priestess. While in the hands of a skilled Illaoi player, she was tough to deal with, she is one of those champions that hardly ever saw professional play.
Q – Bone Skewer
- STAB TARGETING AoE (30% reduced damage on non-champions) ⇒ Single target (hits nearest unit, preferring nearest champion)
- REMOVED Bone Skewer’s stab cast no longer deals 15% bonus damage
14/12.5/11/9.5/8 seconds⇒ 12/11/10/9/8 seconds
W – Ghostwater Dive
- MOVEMENT SPEED
40% (decaying over 5 seconds)⇒ 40/45/50/55/60% (decaying over 5 seconds)
E – Phantom Undertow
- REMOVED Phantom Undertow no longer damages non-champions
Speaking of professional play, Pyke is one champion that has proven to be one tough champion. He, previously, was picked as a flex pick. His ability to be sneaky, engage, and still deal damage has just helped him so much to be one of the top picks.
The changes to Pyke hits his wave clear especially on Phantom Undertow. This doesn’t affect support Pyke as much but it makes solo laning drastically tougher.
Support Pyke gets even more love this patch through an increase per level to Ghostwater Dive.
Passive – Monkey’s Agility
- NEW All abilities can now be leveled up 6 times, starting at level 16
Q – Tiger Stance
30/60/90/120/150 (+1.2/1.35/1.5/1.65/1.8 attack damage)⇒30/60/90/120/150/180 (+1.1/1.25/1.4/1.55/1.7/1.85 attack damage)
W – Turtle Stance
E – Bear Stance
- BONUS MOVEMENT SPEED
- BONUS MOVEMENT SPEED DURATION
2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3 seconds⇒2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3/3.25 seconds
R – Phoenix Stance
- CONE DAMAGE
- DAMAGE PER TICK
Udyr gets some love this patch and this time it’s quite a unique change to his abilities. After level 16, Udyr can now level his abilities up to 6 times. This allows players to focus their build. Whether it be to engage better, auto attack faster, be tankier, or deal more are of effect damage.
This may just be what Udyr needs to get an oomph in getting more play time on the Rift.
Q – Hymn of Valor
- AURA DAMAGE RATIO
0.3 ability power⇒ 0.2 ability power
E – Song of Celerity
- BONUS MOVEMENT SPEED RATIO
6% movement speed per 100 ability power⇒3% movement speed per 100 ability power
Sona has been tearing it both in solo queue and professional play and it comes to no surprise that she gets nerfs this patch.
First, they’ve lowered the AP ratio to the aura damage of Hymn of Valor. While it doesn’t seem too big, it will slightly affect her late game. What is perhaps bigger of the changes is the lowered movement speed given by Song of Celerity which goes down by half per 100 AP.
While these aren’t quite enough to totally remove her from the meta but it is enough to disrupt the AP builds with the lowered AP scaling.
- ATTACK DAMAGE
- HEALTH GROWTH
W – Kingslayer
- BASE DAMAGE
E – Abscond/Abduct
- BUGFIX Tooltip now properly mentions all mana scaling per rank information
Last, but not least is Sylas. Sylas was gutted after the changes in Patch 9.12. While the changes this patch aren’t quite what one would it expect it still helps him.
The flat AD increase isn’t quite as big but will still help him in the laning phase and the health growth increase will help later on the game.
While the incremental increase in damage across the levels of Kingslayer will at least increase his damage even more. Because of this, Kingslayer may be the better ability to max second to maximize the buff.
Photos courtesy of na.leagueoflegends.com